On this page:
- Biden-Harris Presidential Transition
- ID Workforce
- Funding/Congressional Response Legislation
- Public Health
- Health Disparities
- Public Safety
- Pandemic Preparedness
- Patient Care
- Antimicrobial Resistance
- Global Health
- IDSA and HIVMA Write to New Members of Congress
IDSA and HIVMA share COVID-19 resources and introduce policy priorities for new Senators and Representatives.
- IDSA and HIVMA Write to Incoming White House COVID-19 Response Coordinators
IDSA and HIVMA offer to serve as a resource and support their work on a range of issues including strengthening the nation’s vaccination strategy, promoting universal mask use, strengthening testing capacity and optimizing therapeutics and clinical trial infrastructure.
- IDSA and HIVMA Write to Biden COVID-19 Advisory Board Leaders
The Society congratulated the Biden COVID-19 Advisory Board Co-chairs and offered the members frontline expertise and experience to strengthen the national response to the coronavirus pandemic.
- IDSA and HIVMA letter to President-elect Joe Biden
IDSA and HIVMA offer their membership’s expertise as President-elect Biden prepares for the transition and takes on the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic and other infectious diseases threats.
- S-FAR Letter to Biden-Harris Transition Team
The Stakeholder Forum on Antimicrobial Resistance (S-FAR) encourages the Biden-Harris team to prioritize antimicrobial resistance.
- IDSA Comments to CMS on Interim Final Vaccine Rule
IDSA provides comments to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) regarding the recent interim final rule on vaccination requirements for health care personnel (HCP).
- Letter to Support U.S Air Travel Public Safety Act
IDSA leads national organizations on letter expressing support for the U.S. Air Travel Public Safety Act (S.2888)
Creating #COVIDSafeZones in America’s Workplaces
IDSA signs on to COVID Collaborative open letter encouraging private sector leaders to take action to maintain safe spaces and prevent spread of COVID-19.
IDSA Comments on HHS National Vaccines Strategy
IDSA provides comment on the HHS Office of Infectious Disease and HIV Policy (OIDP) Vaccines National Strategic Plan 2021-2025.
- IDSA, HIVMA, & PIDS Comment Letter to VRBPAC on COVID-19 Vaccines
IDSA, HIVMA, and PIDS urge VRBPAC to follow strict criteria and ensure transparent review of COVID-19 vaccine candidates ahead of its Oct. 22 meeting.
- Continued Monitoring of COVID-19 Vaccines, Seasonal Immunization Schedules, and More
IDSA continues to monitor the activities of CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).
- IDSA leads over 90 organizations on COVID-19 vaccine letter to FDA:
Organizations representing clinicians, scientists, patients, health care facilities and others urge FDA to ensure that a COVID-19 vaccine is only authorized or licensed when it meets FDA’s existing high standards of safety and efficacy.
- Letter to the National Academy of Medicine’s Committee on Equitable Allocation of Vaccine for the Novel Coronavirus, 9/4/20
IDSA comments on the recently released discussion draft of the Preliminary Framework for Equitable Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccine.
- IDSA PIDS Letter on Pharmacists Vaccinating Children
IDSA and PIDS emphasize the importance of increasing vaccination rates and comprehensive pediatric care.
- Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices Meeting Summary
CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) discussed several COVID-19 vaccine candidates undergoing clinical study at its latest meeting
- Letter Urging Inclusion of People Living With HIV in COVID-19 Vaccine Trials, 7/29/20
IDSA and HIVMA writes to HHS Operation Warp Speed leadership on including PLWH and medically underserved communities in vaccine trials.
- Recommendations for Increasing Vaccination Rates in Children and Adults During the COVID-19 Pandemic
IDSA, HIVMA, SHEA & PIDS recommend policies to increase immunization rates.
- Telehealth Stakeholder Letter to Congress, 6/29/20
IDSA joins over 300 organizations urging Congress to make current telehealth flexibilities permanent.
- Where is the ID in COVID-19?
A study published in Clinical Infectious Diseases that found that 80% of counties with highest number of COVID-19 cases at the time of the study had below average ID physicians or no ID physicians at all.
- Strengthening the Infectious Diseases Workforce to Combat COVID-19 and Future Pandemics
IDSA policy brief on ID workforce challenges and policy recommendations to address them.
- Letter on Loan Forgiveness for Frontline Health Workers Act, 5/12/20
IDSA and HIVMA letter endorsing legislation to provide loan forgiveness for ID/HIV physicians and other frontline health care professionals.
- IDSA and HIVMA Letter to Department of State, 4/16/20
Letter urging Department of State and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to ensure foreign-born international medical graduates are able to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Outbreak Activation Reimbursement for Providers on the Frontlines of the COVID-19 Response
IDSA’s request to Congress for a Medicare coding pathway for outbreak activation activities.
- Legal Intervention in Clinical Practice Exposes Patients to Serious Harm
Joint IDSA, HIVMA, SHEA position statement emphasizing the importance of scientific review processes for COVID-19 therapeutics and independent medical decision-making.
- Developing Therapeutics During the Coronavirus Pandemic and Future Public Health Emergencies
Joint IDSA and HIVMA issue brief with recommendations to optimize clinical trial design and to strengthen the emergency use authorization (EUA) process for therapeutics for COVID-19 and future novel infections.
- Testimony Submitted for the Senate HSGAC “Early Outpatient Treatment: An Essential Part of a COVID-19 Solution, Part II” Hearing
Joint IDSA and HIVMA comments regarding expanding COVID-19 outpatient treatments and the need to strengthen the FDA’s EUA process, optimize clinical trial infrastructure and improve the allocation and distribution process of EUA products.
- Joint Letter Urging another COVID Funding Bill
IDSA and partner societies urge Congress to fund global vaccination and ongoing domestic therapeutic, testing and vaccine needs.
IDSA Comments RE Healthy Future Task Force RFI (1/31/22) IDSA submitted comments in response to a request for information (RFI) from the Healthy Future Task Force Security Subcommittee including recommendations on pandemic preparedness, public health, and supply chain issues.
- American Rescue Plan Overview
Hart Health Strategies summary of resources provided in the latest COVID-19 bill. COVID-19 Rescue Package
IDSA and HIVMA urge Congress to provide new funding to COVID-19 vaccination, testing, treatments and medical supplies, including in congregate settings.
- FY21 COVID-19 Bill Itemized
A summary of how IDSA and HIVMA priorities fared in the joint FY 2021 Federal Funding and Coronavirus Relief Bill.
- Urgent Action Needed Before the End of the Year on COVID-19 Relief Package
IDSA, HIVMA and the George Counts Interest Group urge Congress to pass COVID-19 response legislation before the end of the year, including much needed resources for widespread, equitable distribution of COVID-19 vaccines.
- Priorities for Next COVID-19 Response Legislation, 7/24/20
IDSA and HIVMA outline key issues for the next Congressional COVID-19 response bill.
- Priorities for Next COVID-19 Response Bill, 7/13/20
IDSA and HIVMA list priorities for Congress as it develops CARES Act follow-up legislation.
- Letter to OSG re Impact of Health Misinformation Throughout the COVID-19 Pandemic April 2022
IDSA submitted a response to the Office of the Surgeon General (OSG) relating to the impact of health misinformation on patient care and public health efforts throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
- HIV & STD Prevention and Care During COVID-19 April 2021
A summary of recommendations to address health inequities and improve health outcomes.
- Innovations in HIV Care Delivery During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Policies to Strengthen the Ending the Epidemic Initiative
A policy paper of IDSA and HIVMA.
- Letter to the Biden Presidential Campaign on Addressing COVID-19, 8/13/20
IDSA and HIVMA offer information, resources and evidence-based advice on confronting the pandemic and protecting public health.
- Letter to the Trump Presidential Campaign on Addressing COVID-19, 8/13/20
IDSA and HIVMA offer information, resources and evidence-based advice on confronting the pandemic and protecting public health.
- Letter Urging Administration to Reverse Course on COVID-19 Patient Data Reporting Change, 7/17/20
More than 100 organizations urge the Administration to protect data integrity, keep public health data public and invest in CDC data reporting.
- IDSA Comments on White House Blueprint for Testing & Rapid Response, 5/8/20
Letter offering evidence-based key considerations.
- Policy Recommendations for Addressing COVID-19 Health Inequities
Recommendations for increasing community engagement, reducing barriers to services, improving national and state planning and coordination, optimizing clinical trials, fostering a more diverse research workforce and strengthening the FDA emergency use authorization process for therapeutics.
- COVID-19 and Health Disparities: The Impact on Rural Communities
Recommendations for addressing disparities among rural communities.
- COVID-19 Policy Brief: Disparities Among Immigrant Populations in the United States
This policy brief focuses on health and immigration policies that put immigrant populations—especially undocumented immigrants—at significant risk of contracting COVID-19 and experiencing adverse health outcomes due to COVID-19.
- COVID-19 and Health Disparities in the United States
Issue brief from IDSA and HIVMA with policy recommendations.
- COVID-19 and Health Disparities: The Impact on Native American Communities
Recommendations for addressing disparities among Native American communities.
- COVID-19 and Health Disparities: The Impact on Black/African American Communities
Recommendations for addressing disparities among Black/African American communities.
- COVID-19 and Health Disparities: The Impact on Latinx Communities
Recommendations for addressing disparities among Latinx communities.
- Strengthening the Response to COVID-19 in Correctional Facilities
IDSA and HIVMA recommendations for preventing and responding to outbreaks in correctional facilities.
- Letter of Support for the Minority Community Public Health Emergency Response Act, 8/13/20
IDSA and HIVMA support H.R.7456, which would provide resources to communities with high percentages of people of color impacted by COVID-19.
- Group Letter Urging Action on PPE, Testing & Supplies to Protect Vulnerable Populations, 7/23/20
IDSA, HIVMA, and other organizations convened by the National Medical Association and the Rainbow PUSH Coalition urge federal action on PPE, COVID-19 testing and supplies.
- Letter to HHS re 8/20/20 rescission of LDT guidances
IDSA offers questions and recommendations to HHS following their announcement to rescind existing FDA premarket review requirements for laboratory developed tests.
- Letter Supporting Mask Requirement on Public Transportation
IDSA led over 50 organizations in support of continuing the mask mandate.
- Letter Urging Governors to Adopt Layered Prevention
IDSA, APIC, SHEA, SIDP, PIDS, AIHA and NASN recommend governors strengthen policies on vaccination, masking and more to prevent COVID-19.
- What the Experts Say About COVID-19 Risks
IDSA-developed infographic categorizing the risk level of common activities.
- Guidelines for Healthy In-Person Voting
Guidelines developed jointly by IDSA and Brennan Center for Justice for minimizing the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission at polling locations.
- Letter Urging Governors to Implement State Mask Requirements, 8/10/20
IDSA and HIVMA emphasize to the National Governors Association the importance of state mask requirements to prevent transmission of COVID-19.
- Letter to White House Coronavirus Task Force on Mask Requirements, 8/5/20
IDSA and HIVMA advocate policy options to significantly increase mask use nationwide.
- How to Stay Safe During Re-opening
Infographic developed by IDSA for the general public.
- Reopening Safely: Help Stop the Spread of COVID-19
Public health best practices and resources compiled by IDSA and HIVMA.
- Face Coverings and Masks: Advice and Information for the General Public
Printable one-page document created by IDSA and HIVMA.
- Response to White House Pandemic Plan, 9/16/21
IDSA and HIVMA offer recommendations to strengthen preparedness, including the ID workforce, AMR, clinical trials networks, public health communications, equity and global coordination.Letter to HHS on Health System Resilience, 7/8/20IDSA and HIVMA recommendations related to the ID/HIV workforce, PPE, testing capacity, masks and physical distancing, health disparities, contact tracing, research, and immunizations.
- IDSA and HIVMA Response to Senate Health Committee “Preparing for the Next Pandemic” White Paper
Recommendations to inform the development of pandemic preparedness legislation.
- Initial Lessons Learned: Recommendations to Prepare for a Fall Surge of COVID-19 Cases
Preparedness policy recommendations from IDSA, HIVMA, and SHEA
- IDSA Comments on CURES 2.0 Concept Paper and COVID-19, 5/6/20
Letter to Hill leaders offering feedback on policy proposals relevant to pandemic preparedness and response.
- Letter to Vice President Pence and Sec Azar on Access to Remdesivir, 7/14/20
IDSA and HIVMA urge the administration to use every authority it has to ensure an adequate supply of remdesivir in the U.S. and worldwide.
- Letter Asking Ambassador Birx for Remdesivir Distribution Discussion, 5/14/20
IDSA and HIVMA letter requesting a meeting with White House Coronavirus Task Force Coordinator on continuing uncertainty surrounding access.
- Ensuring Fair and Equitable Distribution of Remdesivir, 5/6/20
IDSA and HIVMA letter to the White House Coronavirus Task Force. IDSA and HIVMA Letter to Congress on Medical Supply Chain, 4/23/20
Letter in support of H.R. 6390, a bill to require emergency production of medical equipment.
- Letter to Congress on Addressing Antimicrobial Resistance in COVID-19 Response, 8/5/20
Joint letter urging Congress to address antimicrobial resistance in forthcoming COVID-19 legislation.
- IDSA-led Stakeholder Letter on AMR and Preparedness
Stakeholders highlight the need to address AMR as part of broader preparedness efforts.
- Strategies to Address Antimicrobial Drug Shortages, 6/1/20
Issue brief on current antimicrobial drug shortages and potential policy interventions.
- Societies Urge Repeal of Travel Ban
IDSA, HIVMA, SHEA and SIDP make the case for repealing the travel ban on southern African nations.
- Joint Letter to Gayle Smith, U.S Coordinator for Global COVID-19 Response
IDSA and HIVMA make recommendations to strengthen global pandemic efforts.
- Infectious Diseases Leaders Respond to President Trump’s Defunding of the World Health Organization, 4/15/20
A joint statement from IDSA, HIVMA, SHEA, PIDS, and SIDP.
- Recommendations for U.S. Efforts to Strengthen Global Vaccination Coverage During the COVID-19 Pandemic
IDSA and HIVMA recommend policies to strengthen global immunization infrastructure.
- Letter of Concern Regarding EcoHealth Alliance Grant Termination, 5/11/20
IDSA, HIVMA, PIDS and the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene express concern about a coronavirus-focused NIH grant’s termination.
- IDSA Outlines Key COVID-19 Research Questions and Recommendations
Research recommendations to drive the advancement of evidence-based prevention, diagnostics, and treatment.
- IDSA Comments on NIH-Wide Strategic Plan for COVID-19 Research
IDSA identifies key COVID-19 research questions and priorities for NIH consideration